In fiscal year 2015, 61 grantees received approximately $126 million in Preventive Health and Health Services (PHHS) Block Grant funds. CDC has just released a set of 10 success stories that highlight these grantees’ accomplishments. Visit Grantee Highlights to learn how Arizona, Georgia, Hawaii, Kansas, Kickapoo Tribe, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia are using their Block Grant funds to support critical programs and address public health challenges in their jurisdictions.
The PHHS Block Grant, managed by CDC’s Division of Public Health Performance Improvement within the Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support, provides funding to 50 states, 2 American Indian tribes, 8 US territories, and the District of Columbia. With this funding, the grantees are able to create new programs, enhance current programs, respond more quickly to crises, and provide funds where no other government funds previously existed.
Grantee Highlights—Success Stories from the Field
The PHHS Block Grant Program has a successful history of providing flexible funding to 50 states, 2 American Indian tribes, 8 U.S. territories, and the District of Columbia. Grantees address public health concerns through evidence-based interventions, reducing risk factors, and promoting social, environmental, policy, and system approaches. These success stories show how states supplement existing programs, respond rapidly to crises, start new programs, and provide funds where no other government funds exist. See all success stories and grantee funding profiles below.
From clinical services to chronic diseases, learn more about how PHHS Block Grant funds are making a difference in communities across the United States and its territories. Please click on the story titles below to select and view past grantee success stories.
- Ebola Information Flows 24/7 Via the California Health Alert Network (2015)[PDF - 665KB]
- Achieving a Healthy Weight...Say Yes to Water[PDF - 744KB]
District of Columbia
- SHAPE Program Helps Kids Get Active and Fit (2015)[PDF - 945KB]
- Preventing a Lifetime of Disability[PDF - 1.06MB]
- Reducing Patient Infections in Healthcare Settings (2015)[PDF - 610KB]
- Easy Access Project Eases Immigrants into a New Life[PDF - 1.11MB]
- Creating Healthy Communities for Older Residents (2015)[PDF - 944KB]
- When Every Second Counts…To Save Your Life[PDF - 817KB]
- Making Healthy Choices Easier[PDF - 613KB]
- Smoke-Free Program Blends Faith and Healthy Lifestyle[PDF - 536KB]
- Fighting Obesity Starts Early with Childcare (2015)[PDF - 767KB]
- Elementary Schools Go for the Gold Medal[PDF - 1.07MB]