lunes, 20 de mayo de 2019

Cancer and Women Feature | CDC

Cancer and Women Feature | CDC

Cancer and Women

Learn your family history of cancer and what you can do to lower your cancer risk.
Jackie has a family history of cancer. Several relatives on her father’s side of the family had breast or ovarian cancer at an early age. Her doctor encouraged her to see a genetic counselor.
“I was like, ‘I don’t want to know. I’m not taking this test,’” Jackie said. “I thought about it. I could lose my daughter and not be here for her. I took the test.
“I found out that I was BRCA 1positive,” Jackie says. “The genetic counselor laid out a couple of options for me. I decided to have my ovaries removed.
“At first it was very scary, but it became empowering. [Cancer] doesn’t have to be my destiny. I’m going to watch my kid grow up!”

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario