Outbreak of Salmonella Infections Linked to Chicken
Latest Outbreak Information
- Seventeen people infected with the outbreak strain of Salmonella I 4,,12:i:- have been reported from four states.
- Eight people have been hospitalized, including one death reported from New York.
- Epidemiologic and traceback evidence indicates that some kosher chicken products are contaminated with Salmonella I 4,,12:i:- and have made people sick.
- In interviews, ill people reported eating kosher chicken, and when asked about the specific brand eaten, several people reported Empire Kosher brand.
- The outbreak strain was also identified in samples of raw chicken collected from two facilities, including one facility that processes Empire Kosher brand chicken.