On behalf of the Fogarty International Center at the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), the following funding opportunities, notices and announcements may be of interest to those working in the field of global health research. Updates are typically distributed once a week.
Top NIH Funding News
Recent blog posts from the NIH Office of Extramural Research (OER) that may be of interest to NIH grant applicants.
- Publications resulting from NIH-funded research:
- Continuing Steps to Ensuring Credibility of NIH Research: Selecting Journals with Credible Practices, November 8, 2017
- Clinical trials:
- NIH Plans for Issuing Clinical Trial Specific Parent Announcements, November 8, 2017
- Podcast: Understanding the Definition of a Clinical Trial and What That Means for You, October 25, 2017
- Implementing a New Human Subject and Clinical Trial Information Form, October 11, 2017
- Changes to application appendices:
NIH funding opportunities focusing on global health and foreign collaboration.
- Notice of change in application due dates (NOT-TW-18-001) and eligibility (NOT-TW-18-002) for PAR-17-001 Emerging Global Leader Award (K43)
Modified application due date: December 14, 2017
> More about the Fogarty Emerging Global Leader Award (K43)
NIH funding opportunities for which foreign organizations, foreign components of U.S. organizations and/or other foreign components may apply.
- NIH Blue Print: Development and Validation of Technologies for Rapid Isolation and Characterization of Extracellular Vesicles of Central Nervous System Origin (R21/R33) (RFA-MH-18-600)
Application Receipt Date(s): January 22, 2018
- BRAIN Initiative Fellows: Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Individual Postdoctoral Fellowship (F32) (RFA-MH-18-510)
Application Receipt Date(s): March 15, 2018; December 7, 2018; and more
Note: Foreign training will be considered for funding when the scientific advantages are clear.
- Update > The NIH Office of Extramural Research (OER) is reissuing many NIH funding opportunity announcements (FOAs) with information on the new FORMS-E grant application package for due dates on or after January 25, 2018, reflecting changes to the NIH definition of a clinical trial. Search the NIH Guide to Grants and Contracts for the most recent, accurate information on active NIH FOAs. "Section III. Eligibility Information" of each FOA specifies if foreign institutions are eligible to apply.
Research training opportunities for U.S. researchers.
- Mentored Career Development Award to Promote Faculty Diversity in Biomedical Research (K01) (RFA-HL-18-027) from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
Application Receipt Date(s): February 20, 2018
NIH events that may be of interest to global health researchers.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) International Forum
June 8-11, 2018
San Diego, CA
Submit abstracts and request travel awards, with additional funds available for attendees from developing, low- and middle-income countries by January 11, 2018
NIH funding news that may be relevant to global health researchers.
- Notice of Extension of the Response Date for Request for Information (RFI): Next-Generation Data Science Challenges in Health and Biomedicine (NOT-LM-18-001)
New Response Date: November 20, 2017
- Request for Information on Developing Experimental Design "Emoji" Symbols for Use in Scientific Presentations (NOT-NS-18-014)
- Reducing Stigma to Improve HIV/AIDS Prevention, Treatment and Care in LMICs
Application deadline: December 11, 2017
- Emerging Global Leader Award
UPDATED > Application deadline: December 14, 2017
- Global Noncommunicable Diseases and Injury Across the Lifespan
Application deadline: December 14, 2017
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Postdoctoral Research Fellowships in Japan
Application deadline: January 31, 2018
- International Research Scientist Development Award (IRSDA)
Application deadline: March 7, 2018
- Chronic, Noncommunicable Diseases and Disorders Research Training
Application deadline: March 14, 2018
- International Bioethics Training
Application deadline: May 17, 2018