Learn the Facts About Opioids
You or a loved one may be one of the approximately 100 million people in the United States who suffer from pain annually*. Opioids play a vital role in pain management. These powerful medicines have both benefits as well as potentially serious risks if not used correctly. Incorrect use or use for non-medical reasons can lead to abuse, addiction and even death.
FDA’s Opioids Action Plan highlights the steps we’re taking toward reducing the impact of opioid misuse on American families and communities. Use these FDA resources to help you and the women you serve make informed choices about opioids.
- Know the facts about opioid medications and prescription pain reliever misuse.
- Learn about important safety label changes for methadone and buprenorphine products used by pregnant women.
- Share this "Guide to Safe Use of Pain Medicine" and other educational resources.
- Read Dr. Robert Califf’s blog “Changing course: A new approach to opioid pain medication at FDA”.
* U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Opioids Medications: Treating Pain(June, 21, 2016).