Create an Opioid Recovery App for Patients Receiving Treatment
SAMHSA is launching a new challenge to spur developers to create a mobile application (app) that provides additional recovery support to patients receiving treatment for opioid misuse. The app may be used as part of a patient's comprehensive treatment plan, which includes counseling and participation in social support programs. The goal of this challenge is to assist people in recovery in accessing resources, educational materials, information, and social supports through technology.
To get involved, create and enter an app in the challenge, alone or as part of a team, or help spread the word by forwarding this email to developers, providers, or other interested parties who want to help make a difference in their communities.
|Learn More About the Challenge|
SAMHSA will award over $30,000 in prizes for apps that provide the best recovery support. In addition to first, second, and third place prizes, SAMHSA will also issue awards for the apps that best address the insights provided. The first prize winner will be invited to attend the American Association for the Treatment of Opioid Dependence (AATOD) annual conference in Baltimore, Maryland, and be given an opportunity to discuss the app with other treatment professionals. The challenge is open to submissions March 4, 2016–May 27, 2016.
Prizes for the winning solutions are:
- 1st prize: US $15,000 cash, plus:
- An opportunity to present the winning app at the 2016 AATOD conference in October.
- A "1st Place Winner" banner to place on website and promotional materials.
- 2nd prize: US $7,500 cash, plus:
- A "2nd Place Winner" banner to place on website and promotional materials.
- 3rd prize: US $5,000 cash, plus
- A "3rd Place Winner" banner to place on website and promotional materials.
- Honorable Mention – Best app to address Insight 1: US $1,000 cash
- Honorable Mention – Best app to address Insight 2: US $1,000 cash
- Honorable Mention – Best app to address Insight 3: US $1,000 cash
- Honorable Mention – Best app to address Insight 4: US $1,000 cash
- Honorable Mention – Best app to address Insight 5: US $1,000 cash