martes, 3 de septiembre de 2019

I learned how to retrain my brain to manage chronic pain | Health.mil

I learned how to retrain my brain to manage chronic pain | Health.mil

health dot mil banner image

I learned how to retrain my brain to manage chronic pain

Retired Navy Senior Chief Petty Officer Jim Wilt

Retired Navy Senior Chief Petty Officer Jim Wilt



Approximately 50 million Americans live with chronic pain, according to a report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and many of those suffering have served in the armed forces. The National Health Interview Survey found that military veterans are more likely to experience chronic pain than people who've never worn the uniform.
Pain can take many forms: sharp, dull, strong, mild, intermittent, constant. Acute pain is sudden, usually brought on by illness or injury. With time, it resolves. Chronic pain is the result of increased sensitivity of the nerves. And it can be unrelenting in terms of frequency and severity. Chronic pain may even lead to anxiety, depression, and a reduced quality of life.
According to the CDC, many people rely on prescription medications to manage their pain. I did, too, after breaking my back during a training accident early in my Navy career as a parachute rigger and jumper. I spent some time recuperating but once back on the job, I was still hurting. There were many days I'd wake up, take medication to mask the pain, and then push through the day.
Other mission-related injuries exacerbated the pain. I worked with my doctors to adjust medications and dosages. But at some point, I realized it didn't make sense for me to continue living life this way. The meds were clouding my mind, preventing me from being fully present for my family.
Moreover, they were ultimately adding to the problem. Let's say my back hurt. I'd take a couple of pills and then, feeling no pain, continue working past the point when I should have stopped. The overexertion would leave me almost completely debilitated for a day or two afterward, when the pain medication wore off. And the body can develop a tolerance to medication over time, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse
I put off back surgery because of potential risks, including paralysis and infections. Several years after retiring and well into my second career as a senior scientist for Naval Air Systems Command, I had a spinal fusion procedure. After recuperating, I approached my doctors about learning how to retrain my brain so that I could taper off the meds and take a holistic approach to managing my pain. Tools for retraining the brain include physical therapy, yoga, and dietary changes.
Pain is your body's way of telling you to throttle back. I've learned to listen to and heed that signal. Instead of taking meds and continuing with what I was doing, I stop. The work will still be there tomorrow. You just pick up and do it in stages, rather than try to knock it all out in one day.
Additionally, I look for other ways to feel better. I practice yoga and meditation, and I do a stretching routine I learned in the military. I also follow a healthy diet and make sure I stay hydrated.
Today, I'm not completely pain-free. I'm usually a 6 on the Defense and Veterans Pain Rating Scale, which health care providers use to assess pain intensity as well as how pain impacts daily activities, including work and sleep. A "6" means my pain is difficult to ignore. It can cause me to avoid usual weekend activities, such as splitting logs, mowing the lawn, and tending to my gardens. Still, I feel better overall now that I no longer take prescription pain medications. I've regained the ability to feel real, authentic emotions.
I understand that for some people, it may not be wise or safe to eliminate prescription pain medications altogether. But if you're looking for a lifestyle change – and it is, indeed, a lifestyle change – talk to your health care provider about options for pain management that don't rely on meds. Be open and honest about how you're feeling physically as well as emotionally, and bring your family members in on the conversation as well. You need not be alone in this.


Opioid Abuse and Non-Opiate Pain Management

Congressional Testimony
7/12/2019
H.R. 6157, HAC Report for FY 2019, 115-769, Pg. 298
Recommended Content:
Opioid Safety | Pain Management

Acute vs. Chronic Pain

Infographic
6/6/2019
This infographic describes the difference between acute pain and chronic pain.
This infographic describes the difference between acute pain and chronic pain
Recommended Content:
Pain Management

Living with Pain? Retrain Your Brain

Infographic
6/6/2019
This infographic describes ways to retrain the brain's reaction to pain.
This infographic describes ways to retrain the brain's reaction to pain.
Recommended Content:
Pain Management

Breaking the pain cycle

Article
4/9/2019
Ashley Blake, an acupuncture nurse at Naval Hospital Pensacola’s Pain Management Clinic, treats a patient with Battlefield Acupuncture (BFA), one of many opioid alternatives offered at many treatment facilities in the Military Health System. BFA consists of inserting five tiny and sterile 2 mm needles into specific points of the ear where they can remain for up to three days. (U.S. Navy photo by Petty Officer 1st Class Brannon Deugan)
Live in agony or risk addiction? MHS pain management initiatives offer options
Recommended Content:
Prescription Monitoring Program | Mental Wellness | Mental Health Care | Substance Abuse | Physical Disability | Warrior Care | Opioid Safety | Pain Management

MHS Pain Management 2019

Fact Sheet
4/3/2019
This document provides images for a pain rating scale, from 0 to 10, along with supplemental questions.
Recommended Content:
Pain Management

Drug-monitoring innovations help providers help their patients

Article
8/6/2018
Two Military Health System innovations are helping to ensure best practices for patients with pain, and for patients who’ve been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder. (U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Curt Beach)
Focus is on management of pain and PTSD
Recommended Content:
Innovation | Substance Abuse | Posttraumatic Stress Disorder | Pain Management | Opioid Safety

Progress in preventing opioid abuse, more needs to be done

Article
6/26/2018
Air Force Staff Sgt. Matthew Pick, with the 66th Security Forces Squadron, holds a nasal applicator and naloxone medication vial at Hanscom Air Force Base, Massachusetts. Naloxone is one of several medications designed to temporarily reverse the effects of an opioid overdose. Hanscom was the first Air Force installation to issue the drug to law enforcement personnel under permission of the base commander. (U.S. Air Force photo by Mark Herlihy)
The Military Health System has a shared responsibility in addressing the nation’s opioid epidemic
Recommended Content:
Substance Abuse | Pain Management | Opioid Safety

HIMSS session includes update on MHS Opioid Registry

Article
3/12/2018
Chris Nichols, Defense Health Agency program manager for Enterprise Intelligence and Data Solutions, under the DHA office of the deputy assistant director for Information Operations, talks about utilizing data and pinpointing risks in order to fix the opioid epidemic at the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society annual conference and exhibition in Las Vegas, Nevada. (MHS photo)
Shared registry for DoD, VA is in development
Recommended Content:
DoD and VA Information Exchange | Pain Management | Opioid Safety

Battlefield acupuncture shows promising results downrange

Article
12/27/2017
Research has shown how beneficial battlefield acupuncture can be in combat settings. Not only does it reduce the use of medication with potentially harmful side effects, administering BFA is an easy and highly effective tool for pain management. (Air Force photo)
Research has shown how beneficial battlefield acupuncture can be in combat settings
Recommended Content:
Deployment Health | Pain Management

Acupuncture: Ancient technique complements modern medicine

Article
11/29/2017
Army Col. Dean Hommer (left), a visiting instructor from Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston, Texas, observes as Navy nurse Lt. Rachael Wheelous (right) practices the battlefield acupuncture technique on Navy nurse Lt. Brent Pavell (center) during training at Naval Health Clinic Corpus Christi, Texas. (U.S. Navy photo by William Love)
Procedure has a role in easing pain, advocates say
Recommended Content:
Warrior Care | Pain Management

Burn Center offers new pain management approach for patients

Article
11/8/2017
Pain medication is managed with the placement of an intrathecal catheter exactly like an epidural catheter used for laboring women, except that the catheter resides in the intrathecal space where the cerebrospinal fluid resides instead of the epidural space. (Courtesy photo)
The pain medication is managed with the placement of an intrathecal catheter and infusion of preservative-free morphine
Recommended Content:
Military Hospitals and Clinics | Pain Management

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario