miércoles, 17 de octubre de 2018

Glutaric aciduria type I: Updates

Glutaric aciduria type I: Updates





RARECONNECT

Glutaric aciduria type I


Glutaric aciduria type I or Glutaric acidemia type I is an inherited disorder in which the body is unable to process certain proteins properly. People with this disorder have inadequate levels of an enzyme. Excessive levels of these amino acids and their intermediate breakdown products can accumulate and cause damage to the brain, particularly the basal ganglia, which are regions that help control movement. Intellectual disability may also occur. The severity of glutaric acidemia type I varies widely; some individuals are only mildly affected, while others have severe problems. In most cases, signs and symptoms first occur in infancy or early childhood, but in a small number of affected individuals, the disorder first becomes apparent in adolescence or adulthood. Source: NIH

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario