New Study Highlights Role of Intimate Partner Violence in
Homicides of Women
Findings also present racial/ethnic disparities in homicides of women
CDC releases, Racial/Ethnic Differences in Homicides of Adult Women and the Role of Intimate Partner Violence—National Violent Death Reporting System (NVDRS), 2003-2014 in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.
Key findings from 18 NVDRS states
- Non-Hispanic black and American Indian/Alaskan Native women had the highest rates of homicide.
- More than half of the adult female homicides with known circumstances were intimate partner violence (IPV) related.
- Among intimate partner violence-related homicides, about 80% were committed by a current intimate partner while about 14% were committed by a former intimate partner.
To inform homicide and intimate partner violence prevention efforts, evidence-based programs and policies are needed to prevent IPV from occurring in the first place. CDC’s latest technical package,Preventing Intimate Partner Violence Across the Lifespan: A Technical Package of Programs, Policy, and Practices includes a collection of strategies that represent the best available evidence to help states and communities prioritize efforts to prevent intimate partner violence.
Spread the Word
- #NVDRS data show that over half of homicides among women for which circumstances were known were related to intimate partner violence. One in 10 victims of IPV-related homicide were reported to have experienced some form of violence in the month preceding their deaths, which could have provided opportunities for intervention. Start prevention efforts today.go.usa.gov/xRjEr #VetoViolence
- Intimate partner violence is preventable. Use @CDCgov’s new technical package to begin or expand your prevention efforts. #VetoViolence today. go.usa.gov/xRTeg
- 55% of homicides of women w/circumstance information were IPV-related. Prevention is possible. go.usa.gov/xRjEr #NVDRS #VetoViolence
- Ramp up your prevention efforts w/new technical package to prevent intimate partner violence. #VetoViolence: go.usa.gov/xRTeg
- CDC: Division of Violence Prevention
- CDC: National Violent Death Reporting System
- CDC: Preventing Intimate Partner Violence Across the Lifespan: A Technical Package of Programs, Policy, and Practices
- CDC: Intimate Partner Violence Prevention
- CDC: DELTA FOCUS Program
- National Resource Center on Domestic Violence
- The National Domestic Violence Hotline
Contact us at email@example.com