Cancer Moonshot Challenge Announced
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has announced a prize competition for data visualizations for all types of cancer treatments and diagnostics combining USPTO data with other data. Participants are challenged to develop interactive stories that can reveal information to guide public policy and research to double the rate of progress toward a cure for cancer.
Inside Knowledge Campaign Ready for Gyn Cancer Awareness Month
September is National Gynecologic and Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month, and CDC's Inside Knowledge campaign is increasing efforts to reach women and health care providers. Initiatives include:
- Placing ads in JAMA network Web sites encouraging health care providers to educate women about gynecologic cancer signs and symptoms, the purpose of the Pap test, risk factors, and prevention strategies.
- Sending a Medscape e-mail to more than 25,000 providers promoting campaign materials and highlighting CDC'sGynecologic Cancer Curriculum.
- Running prominently placed ads on The New York Times digital health section (through September 2) and the Huffington Postwomen's section (through September 1).
- Promoting campaign materials including a symptoms diary to help women track their symptoms.
- Placing ads on several mobile and digital sites, including Google, YouTube, and Facebook.
- Distributing a matte release to media across the U.S., featuring women whose stories are told on the Inside Knowledge Survivor Stories pages.
Other resources are scheduled to be released throughout September, such as an interactive quiz, shareable graphics, and more. Get free print materials, public service announcements, and Web buttons to share.
UICC Leaders Visit DCPC
Leaders from the International Union Against Cancer (UICC) visited CDC on August 9 to discuss their current efforts and future vision to improve and promote standardized cancer tumor, node, metastases (TNM) staging. Experts Dr. James Brierly, Dr. Mary Gospodarowicsz, and Dr. Julie Torode made presentations on simplified staging for countries with developing cancer registries, the history of UICC involvement in TNM staging, and UICC's work to reduce global cancer burden. Loria Pollack, MD, MPH, and Hannah Weir, PhD hosted the visit.
New 2015 Comparative Effectiveness Research Project Data Released
Updated 2015 data from the National Program of Cancer Registries (NPCR) project on comparative effectiveness research has been released. The project includes 10 specialized cancer registries funded to collect enhanced data to support comparative effectiveness research. In 2015, these registries collected detailed treatment information for 75,657 cases of breast cancer, colorectal cancer, and chronic myeloid leukemia.
Advisory Committee on Breast Cancer in Young Women Seeks New Members
The Advisory Committee on Breast Cancer in Young Women (ACBCYW) seeks three new members. The nomination period will close on October 7. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Free images to share on social media:Schools Can Help Protect Children from Skin Cancer
- Prostate Cancer Awareness feature