VIRAL HEPATITIS AND INDIAN HEALTH SERVICES HIGHLIGHTS FROM USCA 2016
September 17, 2016 • By AIDS.gov
During the second day of the 2016 U.S. Conference on AIDS (USCA), AIDS.gov shared more conference highlights via Facebook Live.
First, we caught up with Corinna Dan and Mariah Johnson about the viral hepatitis pathway at the conference. Corinna is the Viral Hepatitis Policy Advisor at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of HIV/AIDS and Infectious Disease Policy where she supports the implementation of the U.S. Viral Hepatitis Action Plan. Mariah is a Senior Manager for Hepatitis and Policy and Legislative Affairs at the National Alliance for State and Territorial AIDS Directors (NASTAD) . For the second year in a row, the conference has featured a number of sessions about the intersection of viral hepatitis and HIV. Both Corinna and Mariah advised on the development of this year’s pathway. It features six sessions on topics ranging from integrating hepatitis services into HIV prevention and care programs to sessions focused on hepatitis C prevention and care among specific populations such as people who inject drugs and Native communities. View their conversation here or below.
Our second Facebook Live featured Rick Haverkate of the Indian Health Service, and Kurt Begaye, a capacity building specialist. They discussed some of the activities underway to respond to HIV in the Native American and Alaska Native communities. Rick is the Deputy Director of the IHS Office of Clinical and Preventive Services and he recently assumed responsibility for the IHS HIV/AIDS programs. During his conversation with Kurt, Rick discussed several IHS HIV activities that are supported by the Secretary’s Minority AIDS Initiative Fund and which support capacity building for HIV prevention, care, and treatment across Tribal and urban IHS programs. View their conversation or below.
Stay tuned for more Facebook Live interviews for today, Saturday, September 16!
- Integrating Hepatitis Services into HIV Programs: NACCHO Shares the Local Health Department Perspective at USCA
- Corinna Dan Reflects on Her Commitment to Fighting Viral Hepatitis and Introduces Viral Hepatitis Action Plan
- USCA 2014: Viral Hepatitis in the Spotlight for the First Time
- New CDC Web Page Highlights ACA-Covered Preventive Services for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, STDs, and TB
- At the Forefront of Public Health: The Cherokee Nation’s Hepatitis C Elimination Program and the Indian Health Service’s Hepatitis C Testing Program