Having trouble getting a person with Alzheimer's to enjoy mealtime? Check out these 6 tips for making mealtimes more relaxing:
- View mealtimes as opportunities for social interaction. A warm and happy tone of voice can set the mood.
- Be patient and give the person enough time to finish the meal.
- Respect personal, cultural, and religious food preferences, such as eating tortillas instead of bread or avoiding pork.
- If the person has always eaten meals at specific times, continue to serve meals at those times.
- Serve meals in a consistent, familiar place and way whenever possible.
- Avoid new routines, such as serving breakfast to a person who has never routinely eaten breakfast.
Learn more about healthy eating and Alzheimer's disease on our website.