lunes, 25 de diciembre de 2017

BRCA carrier: Why I chose prophylactic surgery | MD Anderson Cancer Center

BRCA carrier: Why I chose prophylactic surgery | MD Anderson Cancer Center

The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center

BRCA1+ carrier: Why I chose prophylactic surgery

BY JENNY MCCARTHY



I’m lucky. Because although I’ve worn the all-too-familiar MD Anderson patient 
wristband off and on since July 2015, I’ve never actually had cancer. And I have 
my doctor and MD Andersonto thank for that.
During a routine checkup several years ago, my physician asked if my mother 
had ever been tested for hereditary cancer syndromes. She knew that my mom 
is a 20-year breast cancer survivor whose family has a long history of that 
disease. So I asked my mother about it. Mom said she hadn’t ever been 
screened, so a few months later, she underwent genetic testing. And to our 
surprise, she tested positive for the BRCA1 mutation, which increases a carrier’s 
risk for breast and ovarian cancer.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario