Publication Date: Nov 30, 2017
About Advanced Molecular Detection Clips
Clips are selected weekly from a variety of sources, including PubMed, journal tables of contents, and online media. Special emphasis is given to the use of next-generation genetic sequencing in infectious disease public health surveillance, investigation, and development of new diagnostics and interventions. The collection is not comprehensive but aims to capture highlights, while surveying a wide range of topics. CDC-authored articles are flagged. Items marked I&E address aspects of implementation or evaluation in clinical or public health practice. View Data Selection Criteria
Advanced Molecular Detection Clips Content
- Genomics Role In Global Pathogen Surveillance, Diagnosis
Bio-IT World, Nov 14, 2017.
- Flies Feet Can Spread Bacteria
Grens K. The Scientist, Nov 27, 2017.
- This Genetic Testing Tool Could Help Doctors Break The Chain During Superbug Outbreaks
Gaines J. GOOD, Nov 22, 2017.
- Genomic Clues Clarify Drug-Resistant Klebsiella Transmissions During Chicago Area Outbreak
GenomeWeb, Nov 22, 2017.
- Largest genetic study of mosquitoes reveals spread of insecticide resistance across Africa
Phys.org, Nov 29, 2017.
- Improved diagnostics fail to halt the rise of tuberculosis
Callaway E. Nature, Nov 16, 2017.
- Omics Researchers Pursue a Better Flu Vaccine
Versel N. GenomeWeb, Nov 27, 2017
- H5N6 avian flu reassortant found in recent Korean outbreak
Schnirring L. CIDRAP, Nov 27, 2017.
- Genetic mutation could, if altered, boost flumist vaccine effectiveness, research suggests
Science Daily, Nov 28, 2017.
- Evolution of neurovirulent Zika virus
Screaton G, Mongkolsapaya J. Science, Nov 17, 2017.
- Multi-Platform Omics Analysis Reveals Biomarkers of Human Host Response to Ebola Infection
GenomeWeb, Nov 20, 2017.
- Big Data Meets Big Doo-doo: Stool transplant registry will be the largest data set of long-term outcomes.
Uyeno G. Genome Magazine, Nov 2017.
- 'Gene Drives Are Too Risky for Field Trials, Scientists Say
Zimmer C. New York Times, Nov 16, 2017.
EVENTS / TRAINING / WEB RESOURCES
- Blockchain for Research
(report) Van Rossum J. Digital Science, Nov 27, 2017.
CONCEPTS / COMMENTS
- What is blockchain for research?
Treadway J, Van Rossum J. Research Information, Nov 28, 2017.
- Antimicrobials: Daylight robbery by Acinetobacter.
Du Toit Andrea et al. Nature reviews. Microbiology 2017 Nov
- Genomic Epidemiology of Tuberculosis.
Comas Iñaki et al. Advances in experimental medicine and biology 2017 79-93
- Chasing Seasonal Influenza The Need for a Universal Influenza Vaccine
Paules CI, et al. New Engl J Med, Nov 29, 2017.
- Predictive Modeling of Influenza Shows the Promise of Applied Evolutionary Biology.
Morris Dylan H et al. Trends in microbiology 2017 Oct
- Stepping up HIV-1 low-level viraemia surveillance in South Africa
Castagna A, Galli L. Lancet Infect Dis, Nov 17, 2017.
- Thinking beyond the Common Candida Species: Need for Species-Level Identification of Candida Due to the Emergence of Multidrug-Resistant Candida auris.
Lockhart Shawn R et al. Journal of clinical microbiology 2017 Dec (12) 3324-3327
- Current CRISPR gene drive systems are likely to be highly invasive in wild populations
Noble C, et al. bioRxiv, Nov 16, 2017.
- Do bacteriophage guests protect human health?
Guglielmi G. Science, Nov 24, 2017.
- Not Just Antibiotics: Is Cancer Chemotherapy Driving Antimicrobial Resistance?
Papanicolas Lito E et al. Trends in microbiology 2017 Nov
- Capsules for Fecal Microbiota Transplantation in Recurrent Clostridium difficile Infection: The New Way Forward or a Tough Pill to Swallow?
Rao Krishna et al. JAMA 2017 Nov (20) 1979-1980
METHODS / TOOLS
- Evaluating fast maximum likelihood-based phylogenetic programs using empirical phylogenomic data sets.
Zhou Xiaofan et al. Molecular biology and evolution 2017 Nov
- panX: pan-genome analysis and exploration.
Ding Wei et al. Nucleic acids research 2017 Oct
- Nucleic acid purification from plants, animals and microbes in under 30 seconds.
Zou Yiping et al. PLoS biology 2017 Nov (11) e2003916
- Standards and Guidelines for Validating Next-Generation Sequencing Bioinformatics Pipelines: A Joint Recommendation of the Association for Molecular Pathology and the College of American Pathologists.
Roy Somak et al. The Journal of molecular diagnostics : JMD 2017 Nov
- On the (im)possibility of reconstructing plasmids from whole-genome short-read sequencing data.
Arredondo-Alonso Sergio et al. Microbial genomics 2017 Oct (10) e000128
- ARIBA: rapid antimicrobial resistance genotyping directly from sequencing reads.
Hunt Martin et al. Microbial genomics 2017 Oct (10) e000131
- Reproducibility and Reuse of Adaptive Immune Receptor Repertoire Data.
Breden Felix et al. Frontiers in immunology 2017 1418
- Patchy promiscuity: machine learning applied to predict the host specificity of Salmonella enterica and Escherichia coli.
Lupolova Nadejda et al. Microbial genomics 2017 Oct (10) e000135
EVOLUTION / ECOLOGY / POPULATIONS
- The Stone Age Plague and Its Persistence in Eurasia.
Andrades Valtueña Aida et al. Current biology : CB 2017 Nov
- Molecular and phylogenetic analyses of Salmonella Gallinarum trace the origin and diversification of recent outbreaks of fowl typhoid in poultry farms.
De Carli Silvia et al. Veterinary microbiology 2017 Dec 80-86
- Burkholderia humptydooensis sp. nov., a New Species Related to Burkholderia thailandensis and the Fifth Member of the Burkholderia pseudomallei Complex.
Tuanyok Apichai et al. Applied and environmental microbiology 2017 Mar (5)
- Chlamydia trachomatis Strain Types Have Diversified Regionally and Globally with Evidence for Recombination across Geographic Divides.
Smelov Vitaly et al. Frontiers in microbiology 2017 2195
- Phylogeographic separation and formation of sexually discrete lineages in a global population of Yersinia pseudotuberculosis.
Seecharran Tristan et al. Microbial genomics 2017 Oct (10) e000133
- Complete Circularized Genome Sequences of Four Strains of Elizabethkingia anophelis, Including Two Novel Strains Isolated from Wild-Caught Anopheles sinensis.
Pei Dong et al. Genome announcements 2017 Nov (47)
- Genomic Characterization of the First Equine-Like G3P Rotavirus Strain Detected in the United States.
Perkins Charity et al. Genome announcements 2017 Nov (47)
- Emergence of double- and triple-gene reassortant G1P rotaviruses possessing a DS-1-like backbone post rotavirus vaccine introduction in Malawi.
Jere Khuzwayo C et al. Journal of virology 2017 Nov
- Prevalence and genetic diversity analysis of human coronaviruses among cross-border children.
Liu Peilin et al. Virology journal 2017 Nov (1) 230
- Multiple Reassorted Viruses as Cause of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza A(H5N8) Virus Epidemic, the Netherlands, 2016.
Beerens Nancy et al. Emerging infectious diseases 2017 Dec (12) 1974-1981
- Host genetic variation does not determine spatio-temporal patterns of European bat 1 lyssavirus.
Troupin Cécile et al. Genome biology and evolution 2017 Nov
- First Complete Genome Sequences of Anopheles A Virus of the Genus Orthobunyavirus.
Hughes Holly R et al. Genome announcements 2017 Nov (47)
- Genetic diversity of the African malaria vector Anopheles gambiae
The Anopheles gambiae 1000 Genomes Consortium, Nature, Nov 29, 2017.
PATHOGENICITY / ANTIMICROBIAL RESISTANCE
- Carbapenemase-Producing Organisms: A Global Scourge!
Bonomo Robert A et al. Clinical infectious diseases : an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America 2017 Oct
- Long-term carriage of extended-spectrum β-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae in the general population in the Netherlands.
van Duijkeren Engeline et al. Clinical infectious diseases : an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America 2017 Nov
- Impact of extensive antibiotic treatment on faecal carriage of antibiotic-resistant enterobacteria in children in a low resistance prevalence setting.
Knudsen Per Kristian et al. PloS one 2017 (11) e0187618
- Dynamic HIV-1 genetic recombination and genotypic drug resistance among treatment-experienced adults in northern Ghana.
Nii-Trebi Nicholas Israel et al. Journal of medical microbiology 2017 Nov (11) 1663-1672
- A single mutation in the prM protein of Zika virus contributes to fetal microcephaly.
Yuan Ling et al. Science (New York, N.Y.) 2017 11 (6365) 933-936
- Baseline and Breakthrough Resistance Mutations in HCV Patients Failing DAAs.
Paolucci Stefania et al. Scientific reports 2017 Nov (1) 16017
DETECTION / DIAGNOSIS
- Genomics of foodborne pathogens for microbial food safety.
Allard Marc W et al. Current opinion in biotechnology 2017 Nov 224-229
- Development and preliminary evaluation of a multiplexed amplification and next generation sequencing method for viral hemorrhagic fever diagnostics.
Brinkmann Annika et al. PLoS neglected tropical diseases 2017 Nov (11) e0006075
- Field-deployable, quantitative, rapid identification of active Ebola virus infection in unprocessed blood.
Shah Kavit et al. Chemical science 2017 Nov (11) 7780-7797
- Surveillance and laboratory detection for non-polio enteroviruses in the European Union/European Economic Area, 2016.
Harvala Heli et al. Euro surveillance : bulletin Europeen sur les maladies transmissibles = European communicable disease bulletin 2017 Nov (45)
- Optical Nanoantenna for Single Molecule-Based Detection of Zika Virus Nucleic Acids without Molecular Multiplication.
Ochmann Sarah E et al. Analytical chemistry 2017 Nov
- A Lateral Flow Rapid Test for Human Toxocariasis Developed Using Three Toxocara canis Recombinant Antigens.
Yunus Muhammad Hafiznur et al. The American journal of tropical medicine and hygiene 2017 Nov
- Molecular Identification of Trichuris suis and Trichuris trichiura Eggs in Human Populations from Thailand, Lao PDR, and Myanmar.
Phosuk Issarapong et al. The American journal of tropical medicine and hygiene 2017 Nov
EPIDEMIOLOGY / OUTBREAKS / TRANSMISSION
- Epidemiological information is key when interpreting whole genome sequence data - lessons learned from a large Legionella pneumophila outbreak in Warstein, Germany, 2013.
Petzold Markus et al. Euro surveillance : bulletin Europeen sur les maladies transmissibles = European communicable disease bulletin 2017 Nov (45)
- Shiga Toxin-Producing E. coli Infections Associated with Flour.
Crowe Samuel J et al. The New England journal of medicine 2017 11 (21) 2036-2043
- Genetic relatedness of Vibrio cholerae isolates within and between households during outbreaks in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
George Christine Marie et al. BMC genomics 2017 Nov (1) 903
- Integrated genomic and interfacility patient-transfer data reveal the transmission pathways of multidrug-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae in a regional outbreak.
Snitkin Evan S et al. Science translational medicine 2017 Nov (417)
- Shared Genomic Variants: Identification of Transmission Routes Using Pathogen Deep-Sequence Data.
Worby Colin J et al. American journal of epidemiology 2017 Nov (10) 1209-1216
- A predominant VNTR cluster of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates among asylum seekers in the Netherlands and Denmark deciphered by whole genome sequencing.
Jajou Rana et al. Journal of clinical microbiology 2017 Nov
ANTIMICROBIALS / VACCINES / INTERVENTIONS
- Fighting against evolution of antibiotic resistance by utilizing evolvable antimicrobial drugs.
Cansizoglu Mehmet Fatih et al. Current genetics 2017 Dec (6) 973-976
- Functional conservation of the AMA1 host-cell invasion ligand between P. falciparum and P. vivax: a novel platform to accelerate vaccine and drug development.
Drew Damien R et al. The Journal of infectious diseases 2017 Nov
- In silico design of a Zika virus non-structural protein 5 aiming vaccine protection against zika and dengue in different human populations.
Dos Santos Franco Lorrany et al. Journal of biomedical science 2017 Nov (1) 88
- Multivalent rotavirus vaccine and wild-type rotavirus strain shedding in Australian infants: a birth cohort study.
Ye Suifang et al. Clinical infectious diseases : an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America 2017 Nov
- Effect of Oral Capsule- vs Colonoscopy-Delivered Fecal Microbiota Transplantation on Recurrent Clostridium difficile Infection: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
Kao Dina et al. JAMA 2017 Nov (20) 1985-1993
- The gut mycobiome of the Human Microbiome Project healthy cohort.
Nash Andrea K et al. Microbiome 2017 Nov (1) 153
- The Gastrointestinal Microbiome: A Review.
Barko P C et al. Journal of veterinary internal medicine 2017 Nov
- Mutations in fetal genes involved in innate immunity and host defense against microbes increase risk of preterm premature rupture of membranes (PPROM).
Modi Bhavi P et al. Molecular genetics & genomic medicine 2017 Nov (6) 720-729
- Intestinal Microbiota Composition in Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and Age-Matched Controls.
Leong Lex E X et al. The Journal of pediatrics 2017 Dec 63-68.e1
- Multi-platform 'Omics Analysis of Human Ebola Virus Disease Pathogenesis.
Eisfeld Amie J et al. Cell host & microbe 2017 Nov
- Interactions between Retroviruses and the Host Cell Genome.
Poletti Valentina et al. Molecular therapy. Methods & clinical development 2018 Mar 31-41
- Identification of novel genetic loci GAL3ST4 and CHGB involved in susceptibility to leprosy.
Yuan Youhua et al. Scientific reports 2017 Nov (1) 16352
- Analysis of Fusobacterium persistence and antibiotic response in colorectal cancer.
Bullman Susan et al. Science (New York, N.Y.) 2017 Nov
Note: indicates that at least one CDC-affiliated author; indicates that the article addresses aspects of implementation or evaluation in clinical or public health practice.
Disclaimer: Articles listed in the Advanced Molecular Detection Clips are selected by the CDC Office of Public Health Genomics to provide current awareness of the scientific literature and news. Inclusion in the clips does not necessarily represent the views of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention nor does it imply endorsement of the article's methods or findings. CDC and DHHS assume no responsibility for the factual accuracy of the items presented. The selection, omission, or content of items does not imply any endorsement or other position taken by CDC or DHHS. Opinion, findings and conclusions expressed by the original authors of items included in the Clips, or persons quoted therein, are strictly their own and are in no way meant to represent the opinion or views of CDC or DHHS. References to publications, news sources, and non-CDC Websites are provided solely for informational purposes and do not imply endorsement by CDC or DHHS.
Advanced Molecular Detection Clips Database|AMD Clips|PHGKB
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario