CDC’s Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support has released a Community Health Worker (CHW) web page that offers resources developed for or of interest to CHWs.
The resources were compiled from across CDC and are organized by health topic. Each item includes a brief description, type of resource (e.g., toolkit, training material, fact sheet, website), language, audience type, and related CDC programs.
A community health worker (CHW) is a frontline public health worker who is a trusted member or has a particularly good understanding of the community served. A CHW serves as a liaison between health and social services and the community to facilitate access to services and to improve the quality and cultural competence of service delivery.
The resources on this page are collected from programs across CDC that host materials pertinent to CHWs. These resources should be helpful not only to CHWs but also to those who work with them. Each description identifies which of the following audiences are most likely to find the resources useful:
- CHWs, who might be known by other names (e.g., promotores de salud, coaches, lay health advisors, community health representatives, peer mentors, peer navigators)
- Certified educators, who might be CHWs or belong to another allied clinical group
- Community-based organizations, including faith-based organizations and other community groups that work with or host CHWs
- Health insurers, purchasers, and payers―including Medicaid, Medicare, commercial insurers, and employers―who have questions about reimbursing for the services that CHWs provide
- Healthcare providers, who want to incorporate CHWs into their practices
- Public health professionals who work with CHWs and other groups listed here
- Members of the general public, who might have engaged with CHWs and want to understand more about their role
If you identify a CDC resource not listed here, see an error, or have additional feedback, please email the NCCDPHP Community Health Worker Workgroup.
Expand All Collapse All