More Water in Schools, More Healthy Food Retail in Underserved Areas are Discussed in New PublicationCenters for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) sent this bulletin at 09/12/2012 11:34 AM EDT
More Water in Schools, More Healthy Food Retail in Underserved Areas are Discussed in New Publication
Researchers have found that increasing water access in schools and healthier food retail venues in underserved areas are parts of the solution to improve the food and beverage offered in the places where children and families live, work, play, and learn. CDC’s Nutrition and Obesity Policy Research and Evaluation Network (NOPREN) released 9 articles in a supplement of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine (AJPM) that assess how policies can be part of the solution for children’s diets and health including childhood obesity. This set
of papers uses diverse research methods to address questions
relevant to public health practitioners and school leaders such as
the feasibility and practical implementation of policies.
CDC’s Prevention Research Centers (PRC) share best practices
such as those discussed in the supplement through their networks,
and the supplement includes commentaries about these efforts.
PRC's aid evaluation of community-based experiments conducted
by health and education agencies at the local level.
CDC’s NOPREN is comprised of researchers that evaluate policies
to improve the food and beverages available to a large proportion of
a community, and reduce nutrition disparities as a way to support
- Read the AJPM supplement:
- Evaluating Policies and Processes for Promoting Healthy Eating: Findings from the Nutrition and Obesity Policy Research and Evaluation Network (NOPREN)
- Learn more about CDC’s
- Nutrition and Obesity Policy Research and Evaluation Network (NOPREN)
- Learn more about Obesity and Childhood Obesity
- Download the web badges and use other social media tools:
- Rethink Your Drink and Let’s Move Salad Bars to School
- Learn more about: Weight of the Nation
- Follow us on Twitter.com/CDCObesity