Are you a caregiver for an older family member or friend? You might benefit from the services of a geriatric care manager. A geriatric care manager is usually a licensed nurse or social worker who specializes in geriatrics and can help you and your family to identify needs and find resources to meet them. Geriatric care managers can also coordinate medical services and make home visits. Before hiring a geriatric care manager, consider asking them the following questions:
- Are you a licensed geriatric care manager?
- How long have you been providing care management services?
- Are you available for emergencies around the clock?
- Does your company also provide home care services?
- How will you communicate information to me?
- What are your fees? Will you provide information on fees in writing prior to starting services?
- Can you provide references?
For information about geriatric care managers, visit https://www.nia.nih.gov/