Increase Cervical Cancer Screening among Latinas with AMIGAS
AMIGAS is a bilingual educational outreach intervention designed to help promotoras (community health workers) and other lay health educators increase cervical cancer screening among Hispanics who have rarely or never had a Pap test. Updated materials are now available for download.
State Teams Meet Again to Strategize on Increasing Colorectal Cancer Screening
Teams from Arkansas, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Missouri, North Carolina, Nebraska, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, and Washington, D.C. participated in the 80% by 2018 Forum II in Atlanta on July 18 and 19. The participants created action plans focusing on common evidence-based strategies, including reaching out to partners and stakeholders, enhancing patient navigation systems, and communication strategies for clinics and health systems. The 80% by 18 coalition will help them put the plans into place. A third forum will be held in September with teams from different states, all moving toward the goal of getting 80% of the eligible population screened for colorectal cancer by 2018.
DCPC Health Scientist Named in Prestigious List at UGA
Behnoosh Momin, DrPH, MS, MPH, a 2015 University of Georgia (UGA) graduate, was selected by the UGA Alumni Association as a member of the 40 Under 40 Class of 2017. She was selected from 400 nominees for her personal, professional, and philanthropic achievements as a UGA graduate under the age of 40. Congratulations, Dr. Momin!
National Cancer Conference Online Registration Closes Soon!
The 2017 CDC National Cancer Conference,taking place in Atlanta, Georgia from August 14-16, 2017, will close online registration on Friday, August 4. On-site registration will be available during the first two days of the conference, but will cost more. Register now!
New Fact Sheet on USCS Available
A new fact sheet (PDF) on the United States Cancer Statistics has been posted along with the release of the 1999-2014 data set. Information on the sheet includes an overview of the most recent data and the new Data Visualizations tool, which shows the data in graph and chart formats.
- The Links of Care Update webinar on Thursday, July 27 at 1:00 pm ET will feature an overview of the Links of Care pilot projects, which engage medical communities in helping uninsured and underinsured people get colorectal cancer screening.
- During “Reducing Breast Cancer Disparities at the State Level: Successes and Lessons Learned from the ASTHO Breast Cancer Learning Community,” on Tuesday, August 8 at 3:00 pm ET, teams from three states will present lessons learned in addressing racial disparities in breast cancer. DCPC partnered with the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials to sponsor the event. Register here.
DCPC’s Latest Publications
- Medical costs of treating breast cancer among younger Medicaid beneficiaries by stage at diagnosis
- Capture and coding of industry and occupation measures: Findings from eight National Program of Cancer Registries states
- Patient navigation for colonoscopy completion: results of an RCT
- KRAS testing and first-line treatment among patients diagnosed with metastatic colorectal cancer using population data from ten National Program of Cancer Registries in the United States
- The gut microbiota in conventional and serrated precursors of colorectal cancer