Statistics and Surveillance:
Vaccination Coverage in the U.S.
- Identify groups at risk of contracting vaccine-preventable diseases;
- Stimulate efforts to increase coverage;
- Evaluate how well the efforts work
Surveys of U.S. Vaccination Coverage
- National Immunization Survey (NIS)
- National Health Interview Survey (NHIS) - Adults only UPDATED Nov 2010
- Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) - Adults only
- WHO/UNICEF estimates of national immunization coverage
- Impact of methodological "shortcuts" in conducting public health surveys: Results from a vaccination coverage survey
Source: BMC Public Health. 2008; 8: 99.
- Comparison of two survey methodologies to assess vaccination coverage
Source: Int. J. Epidemiol. 2007; 36(3) 633-41.
- Forty years and four surveys: How does our measuring measure up? abstract
Source: Am J Prev Med. 2001; 20 (4S) 6-14
- Population-based surveys and their role in public health
Source: Am J Prev Med 2001; 20(4S) 15-16 (abstract not available online)
- The Impact of Record Scattering on the Measurement of Immunization Coverage
Source: Pediatrics 2001; 107(1) 91-96
- Comparison of NIS and NHIS/NIPRCS vaccination coverage estimates. abstract
Source: Am J Prev Med. 2001; 20 (4 Suppl) 25-7