Streptococcus equi subsp. zooepidemicus Infections Associated with Guinea Pigs - Volume 21, Number 1—January 2015 - Emerging Infectious Disease journal - CDC
Volume 21, Number 1—January 2015
Streptococcus equi subsp. zooepidemicus Infections Associated with Guinea Pigs
Streptococcus equi subsp. zooepidemicus is a facultative pathogen affecting animals and humans. Infections have occurred in horses, pigs, ruminants, guinea pigs, monkeys, cats, and dogs (1,2). Zoonotic transmission of S.zooepidemicus is rare and is usually associated with drinking unpasteurized milk or through contact with horses by persons who usually have underlying health conditions (1–3). Few if any human case-patients with S.zooepidemicus infection have documented guinea pig exposure even though S. zooepidemicus infections have been described in guinea pigs since 1907 (4). This case report describes 1 probable and 1 confirmed human case of severe S. zooepidemicus infection and the laboratory methods used to link human and guinea pig isolates.
Dr. Gruszynski is the veterinary epidemiologist at the Virginia Department of Health, Richmond. She works on issues related to zoonotic diseases.
- Fulde M, Valentin-Weigard P. Epidemiology and pathogenicity of zoonotic streptococci. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 2013;368:49–81.
- Abbott Y, Acke E, Khan S, Muldoon EG, Markey BK, Pinilla M, Zoonotic transmission of Streptococcus equi subsp. zooepidemicus from a dog to a handler. J Med Microbiol. 2010;59:120–3.
- Berenguer J, Sampedro I, Cercenado E, Baraia J, Rodríguez-Créixems M, Bouza E. Group-C β-hemolytic streptococcal bacteremia. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 1992;15:151–5.
- Fraunfelter FC, Schmidt RE, Beattie RJ, Garner FM. Lancefield type C streptococcal infections in strain 2 guinea-pigs. Lab Anim. 1971;5:1–13.
- Benson JA, Ferrieri P. Rapid pulsed-field gel electrophoresis method for group B streptococcus isolates. J Clin Microbiol. 2001;39:3006–8.
- Bannerman TL, Hancock GA, Tenover FC, Miller JM. Pulsed-field gel electrophoresis as a replacement for bacteriophage typing of Staphylococcus aureus. J Clin Microbiol. 1995;33:551–5 .
- Ma Z, Geng J, Zhang H, Yu H, Yi L, Lei M, Complete genome sequence of Streptococcus equi subsp. zooepidemicus strain ATCC 35246. J Bacteriol.2011;193:5583–4.
- Nicholson ML, Ferdinand L, Sampson JS, Benin A, Balter S, Pinto SW, Analysis of immunoreactivity to a Streptococcus equi subsp. zooepidemicus M-like protein to confirm an outbreak of poststreptococcal glomerulonephritis, and sequences of M-like proteins from isolates obtained from different host species. J Clin Microbiol. 2000;38:4126–30 .
- Hong-jie F, Fu-yu T, Ying M, Cheng-ping L. Virulence and antigenicity of the szp-gene deleted Streptococcus equi ssp. zooepidemicus mutant in mice.Vaccine. 2009;27:56–61.
Suggested citation for this article: Gruszynski K, Young A, Levine SJ, Garvin JP, Brown S, Turner L, et al. Streptococcus equi subsp. zooepidemicusinfections associated with guinea pigs. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015 Jan [date cited]. http://dx.doi.org/10.3201/eid2101.140640