We need your help with our new video project!
The Division of Violence Prevention (DVP) is increasing awareness, understanding, and commitment to violence prevention in a new “Tell Us About Your Hero” video series. The series will highlight people performing acts of everyday heroism that shift the culture and change the context in which violence occurs. Stories may focus on preventing any or multiple forms of violence, such as suicide, child abuse and neglect, sexual violence, intimate partner violence, teen dating violence, elder abuse, and youth violence.
What We Need
We need partners to reach out to those they work with to request impactful stories of how people and organizations increase protective factors and reduce risk factors to prevent violence. We need compelling stories about how people and organizations are improving where they live, learn, or work.
We are particularly looking for stories about strategies highlighted in DVP’s technical packages. These stories can include but are not limited to:
- A community champion who addresses violence and embraces violence prevention efforts.
- Potential example: Group of students at the local university are working to change social norms on campus to reduce sexual violence by doing interactive performances and holding discussions. [Aligns with STOP Sexual Violence Technical Package strategy: Promote social norms that protect against violence]
- A person or organization who worked to increase protective factors and prevent violence.
- Potential example: Champion of state, local, or business policy for flexible telework and leave policies for parents with young children. [Aligns with Preventing Child Abuse and Neglect Technical Package strategy: Strengthen economic supports for parents]
How You Can Help
- Write a brief note/storyline explaining why you think the individual or group should be featured. Be sure to include the form of violence the hero has worked to prevent.
- Send the information to Cole Youngner, Project Director at Banyan Communications,email@example.com.
- Following your submission, a Banyan Communications representative will contact you to gather more information about your idea. If selected, Banyan will then reach out to your nominee for an interview. All potential nominees will be vetted before final approval.
Please note: All submissions will be reviewed to ensure a broad array of stories showing heroes acting to prevent many different forms of violence. However, not all submissions will result in a story.
About “Tell Us About Your Hero” Video Series
Violence is preventable. Hearing from people and organizations who are preventing violence can inspire others to take action. We plan to share the videos on our social channels and hope you’ll join us in spreading the word that violence is preventable.