Fogarty Funding Concepts
Concepts represent early planning stages for program announcements, request for applications, or solicitations for Fogarty Advisory Board input. Clearance of a concept by Fogarty's Advisory Board does not guarantee it will become an initiative.
Updated July 27, 2016
July 2016February 2016
Purpose: To advance the transformative impact on health education in Africa that has been initiated through the Medical Education Partnership Initiative (MEPI) and Nursing Education Partnership Initiative (NEPI) programs by:
- enhancing, expanding, and diversifying the leadership structure created through the MEPI Principal Investigator (PI) Council,
- building on the initial successes, infrastructure, and momentum of the MEPI and NEPI networks, and
- including additional institutions that did not participate in MEPI or NEPI, to create a sustainable African organization of health professions.Consultations: An NIH-funded consultation was held in February 2016 with a meeting summary prepared by the National Academy of Medicine.Proposal: Based on this and other consultations, core features of an African Association of Health Professions Education and Research would include:
- Inter-professional, with inclusion of doctors, nurses, and other Health Professions over time, as appropriate
- Organizational structure to share educational resources and best practices in health professional education in Africa, and encourage research to further enhance education methodologies and approaches
- Integration of biomedical, behavioral, clinical, and/or operational research into health professional education and practice
- Include geographically diverse members over time, e.g. francophone African institutions
- Convene annual meetings of Association members and convene working groups to carry out special initiatives
- Create a governance structure, implementing plan, business plan, and well-defined activities to support these goals, and lead over time to a self-sustaining association
- Include an evaluation framework to determine if the Association is meeting its goalsStrategy and Mechanism: Fogarty International Center, with the collaboration and funding support of the Office of the U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator, will develop a competitive funding opportunity announcement to invite applications from African institutions or organizations for an African Educational Association to meet the requirements above. Applicants must include at least one each of the MEPI and NEPI Schools of Medicine and Nursing in the program leadership, are encouraged to build on (but not be confined to) existing networks, and should describe how these networks will grow over time. Applicants must fully describe how they will obtain expertise on organizational and financial management. Other non-African partners may be brought in as needed to create a robust organization. It is envisioned that a solicitation will be published in 2016 that will lead to one five-year award in 2017.
For the published request for applications, see the May 23, 2016 Guide announcement, Fogarty Global Health Training Program (D43) (RFA-TW-16-002).For the published request for applications, see the July 11, 2016 NIH Guide announcement, International Tobacco and Health Research and Capacity Building Program (R01) (RFA-TW-16-003).