Male twin Vietnam veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) were more than twice as likely as those without PTSD to develop heart disease during a 13-year period, according to a study supported by the National Institutes of Health.
- Health Topic: Coronary Heart Disease
- Health Topic: Coronary Heart Disease Risk Factors
- NHLBI Story of Success: Conquering cardiovascular disease
- National Institute of Mental Health Publication: Post-traumatic stress disorder
- United States Department of Veterans Affairs' Vietnam Era Twin Registry
- United States Department of Veterans Affairs' National Center for PTSD
- Dr. Vaccarino's NHLBI Recovery Act project profile