CDC - Directory of NIOSH Construction Resources - Campaign to Prevent Falls in Construction
main page, open here please ►
Stop Construction Falls
CDC MMWR ►
Announcements: Campaign to Prevent Falls in Construction — United States, 2012
1 out of every 3 deaths (32%) [PDF-1MB] in construction is due to falls, the leading cause of work-related injury deaths.
pdf file 76 pages►
Campaign to Prevent Falls in Construction
This national campaign to prevent construction-worker falls was launched on April 26, 2012. The Campaign encourages everyone in the construction industry to work safely and use the right equipment to reduce falls. Special emphasis and activity will focus on residential construction contractors and workers.
The Campaign to Prevent Falls in Construction grew out of multi-stakeholder discussions under the NIOSH National Occupational Research Agenda (NORA) program. The NORA Construction Sector Council, a government-labor-management partnership, conceived the Campaign to reduce falls from roofs, ladders, and scaffolds.
FACT - FALLS KILL!Falls are the number one cause of construction-worker fatalities, accounting for one-third of on-the-job injury deaths in the industry.1 To turn this problem around, we need to promote the use of fall prevention practices by contractors and construction workers.
- Contractors and workers can plan together, before every job, to work safely at heights.
- Contractors must provide the right equipment for working at heights, and workers need to use that equipment.
- Contractors and workers need to be trained to use the equipment and to work safely.
Materials and resources are available on the Campaign website, www.stopconstructionfalls.com, hosted by CPWR-The Center for Construction Research and Training (the NIOSH-funded National Construction Center). Check back often to see what’s new!
For Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation Program (FACE) reports on construction falls, please see the indexes for NIOSH and State-based reports: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/face/
For information on NIOSH falls-related research: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/falls/
To get more information from OSHA on preventing falls in construction, and order publications: www.osha.gov/stopfalls
- NIOSH, OSHA and CPWR-The Center for Construction Research and Training Announce National Campaign to Prevent Falls
- NIOSH-OSHA Fall Prevention Poster (DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 2012-141) | En Español
- NIOSH-OSHA Fact Sheet: Preventing Falls from Roofs, Scaffolds, and Ladders (DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 2012-142) | En Español