PLoS Med. 2011 Oct;8(10):e1001117. Epub 2011 Oct 25.
STrengthening the Reporting of OBservational studies in Epidemiology - Molecular Epidemiology (STROBE-ME): an extension of the STROBE Statement.
Gallo V, Egger M, McCormack V, Farmer PB, Ioannidis JP, Kirsch-Volders M, Matullo G, Phillips DH, Schoket B, Stromberg U, Vermeulen R, Wild C, Porta M, Vineis P; STROBE Statement.
SourceDepartment of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom.
- Advances in laboratory techniques have led to the increasing use of biomarkers in epidemiological studies, but the quality of reporting of such studies varies.
- The STROBE (STrengthening Reporting of Observational studies in Epidemiology) initiative, established in 2004, provides guidance on reporting observational epidemiology studies.
- Here, the STROBE-ME (Strengthening the Reporting of OBservational studies in Epidemiology – Molecular Epidemiology) initiative builds on STROBE and provides additional guidance on reporting biomarker studies.
- Specific additions relate to the collection, handling and storage of biological samples; laboratory methods, validity and reliability of biomarkers; specificities of study design; and ethical considerations.
- A checklist to help authors in reporting biomarker studies is published as supporting information (Table S1).
STrengthening the Reporting of OBservational studie... [PLoS Med. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI
- [PubMed - in process]
- PMCID: PMC3201942