Health-related terms and concepts, especially when it comes to the management of diabetes, can be hard to understand. The NDEP works to create materials that use principles of plain language and healthy literacy that you can use in your diabetes-outreach activities.
The following NDEP plain-language materials are available to you:
- 4 Steps to Manage Your Diabetes for Life – As NDEP’s leading diabetes-management publication, this booklet helps people with diabetes understand, monitor, and manage their diabetes.
- Take Care of Your Feet for a Lifetime – This booklet helps people with diabetes take care of their feet to prevent serious foot problems.
- How to Help a Loved One Cope with Diabetes – This tip sheet provides practical suggestions for helping a loved one cope with diabetes management.
- Taking Care of Your Diabetes Means Taking Care of Your Heart – This tip sheet encourages patients with diabetes to work with their health care team to manage A1C, blood pressure, and cholesterol to prevent heart problems.
- Choose More than 50 Ways to Prevent Type 2 Diabetes – This tip sheet helps people at risk for type 2 diabetes find ways to move more and make healthy food choices to lower their risk for the disease.
- Did You Have Gestational Diabetes When You Were Pregnant? What You Need to Know. – This tip sheet encourages women who had gestational diabetes to take steps to prevent type 2 diabetes and take actions to help the whole family stay healthy.
- It’s Not Too Late to Prevent Type 2 Diabetes – This tip sheet helps older adults take steps to prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes.
Publications to view and download these materials. Be sure to check out NDEP's Plain Language Review Process page to learn more about the NDEP’s plain language approach.