2011 National Healthcare Quality & Disparities ReportsFor the ninth year in a row, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) has produced the National Healthcare Quality Report (NHQR) and the National Healthcare Disparities Report (NHDR). These reports measure trends in effectiveness of care, patient safety, timeliness of care, patient centeredness, and efficiency of care. New this year are chapters on care coordination, health system infrastructure. The reports present, in chart form, the latest available findings on quality of and access to health care.
The National Healthcare Quality Report tracks the health care system through quality measures, such as the percentage of heart attack patients who received recommended care when they reached the hospital or the percentage of children who received recommended vaccinations. The National Healthcare Disparities Report summarizes health care quality and access among various racial, ethnic, and income groups and other priority populations, such as residents of rural areas and people with disabilities.
Print versions of the reports will be available in late April or early May. Users needing assistance should contact Doreen Bonnett at (301) 427-1899 or Doreen.Bonnett@ahrq.hhs.gov.
Select for Previous and Related Reports.
Previous ReportsSelect to access NHQR/DRs for 2010, 2009, and 2008.
- State Documentation of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities To Inform Strategic Action, identifies leading States in the use of patient race/ethnicity data to produce disparities documents that are data driven, address health care disparities, and guide State action.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Health Disparities and Inequalities Report—United States, 2011, consolidates the most recent national data available on disparities in mortality, morbidity, behavioral risk factors, health care access, preventive health services, and social determinants of critical health problems in the United States across selected indicators.
- Enhancing Use of Clinical Preventive Services Among Older Adults: Closing the Gap.
- Promoting Preventive Services for Adults 50-64, identifies a set of recommended preventive services, provides indicators and data at national, State, and selected local levels with which to monitor progress, and promotes successful strategies to facilitate adoption and use.
- Statistical Brief #312: Patient-Provider Communication by Race/Ethnicity and Disability Status: United States, 2007.
- Institute of Medicine Report, Race, Ethnicity, and Language Data: Standardization for Health Care Quality Improvement.
- Health Care Coverage Analyses of the 2006 National Healthcare Quality and Disparities Report, which presents for the first time data on quality and racial and ethnic disparity measures by payer (PDF File, Plugin Software Help).