NCHS Research Data Center
- NHIS Variable Lists To facilitate the proposal process, we have added lists of both restricted and public-use variables for three different iterations of the National Health Interview Survey from the years 1997 through 2011.
- Linking Up With the NCHS RDC Our most recent blog post takes a closer look at the 2012 publications from work done at the Research Data Center. Check it out and be sure to check back for future blogs from RDC staff, researchers, and other NCHS divisions.
New Data Available through the RDC
National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES)
- 2009-2010 Food Security The 2009-2010 NHANES Food Security data has been made available through the Research Data Center. The food security section provides data on household and individual level food security, food stamp benefits, and participation in the WIC program.
National Health Interview Survey (NHIS)
- Early Release of Selected Estimates Based on Data From the January–September 2012 A preliminary microdata file for the January–September 2012 National Health Interview Survey is now available through the Research Data Centers. NHIS data users can analyze this file without having to wait for the final annual NHIS microdata files to be released (expected around June).
State and Local Area Integrated Telephone Survey (SLAITS)
- 2011-2012 National Survey of Children's Health Data from the 2011-2012 National Survey of Children's Health has been released for use. Public-use variables can be found on the NSCH webpage, while restricted variables can be access through the Research Data Center.
Visit the catalog of all restricted data available through the RDC
Find out more about accessing restricted data through the RDC
- Bass LE. Living in the American South and the Likelihood of Having a Tubal Sterilization. Sociological Focus 2013;46(1):47-67.
- Brown BB, Smith KR, Hanson H, et al. Neighborhood design for walking and biking: physical activity and body mass index. Am J Prev Med 2013;44(3):231-8.
- Byrd HC, Curtin C, Anderson SE. Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and obesity in US males and females, age 8-15 years: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2001-2004. Pediatric obesity 2013.
- Chang J, Freed GL, Prosser LA, et al. Associations between physician financial incentives and the prescribing of anti-asthmatic medications in children in US outpatient settings. J Child Health Care 2013.
- Chen Y, Segers S, Blaser MJ. Association between Helicobacter pylori and mortality in the NHANES III study. Gut 2013.
- Hernaez R, McLean J, Lazo M, et al. Association Between Variants in or Near PNPLA3, GCKR, and PPP1R3B with Ultrasound-Defined Steatosis Based on Data from the NHANES III. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2013.
- Kershaw KN, Albrecht SS, Carnethon MR. Racial and ethnic residential segregation, the neighborhood socioeconomic environment, and obesity among blacks and mexican americans. Am J Epidemiol 2013;177(4):299-309.
- Le A, Judd SE, Allison DB, et al. The geographic distribution of obesity in the US and the potential regional differences in misreporting of obesity. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2013.
- McClure LA, Fernandez CA, Clarke TC, et al. Risky drinking in the older population: A comparison of Florida to the rest of the US. Addict Behav 2013;38(4):1894-7.
- Meites E, Lin C, Unger ER, et al. Can clinical tests help monitor human papillomavirus vaccine impact? Int J Cancer 2013.
- Needham BL, Adler N, Gregorich S, et al. Socioeconomic status, health behavior, and leukocyte telomere length in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999-2002. Social science & medicine 2013;85:1-8
- Pendergrass SA, Brown-Gentry K, Dudek S, et al. Phenome-wide association study (PheWAS) for detection of pleiotropy within the Population Architecture using Genomics and Epidemiology (PAGE) Network. PLoS genetics 2013;9(1):e1003087.
- Rotman SR, Bishop TF. Proton pump inhibitor use in the U.S. Ambulatory setting, 2002-2009. PLoS One 2013;8(2):e56060.
- Saydah S, Bullard KM, Imperatore G, et al. Cardiometabolic Risk Factors Among US Adolescents and Young Adults and Risk of Early Mortality. Pediatrics 2013;131(3):e679-86.
- Zickafoose JS, Clark SJ, Sakshaug JW, et al. Readiness of primary care practices for medical home certification. Pediatrics 2013;131(3):473-82.
Read previous publications with restricted NCHS data