A service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine
National Institutes of Health
Health Tip: Help Cool a Temper Tantrum
Offer praise when the child calms down
Thursday, June 28, 2012
The Cleveland Clinic offers these suggestions:
- Stay calm and if possible, ignore your child's tantrum.
- When your child starts to calm down, offer plenty of praise and positive reinforcement.
- Help distract your child and encourage calming down by putting the child in time out.
- Explain that you understand the child's feelings and frustrations.
- Teach your child healthy ways of managing anger and frustration.
- Be a good role model by handling your own frustrations in a calm manner.
Copyright (c) 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.