viernes, 1 de junio de 2018

Cancer Survivor Stories | CDC

Cancer Survivor Stories | CDC

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC twenty four seven. Saving Lives, Protecting People

CDC’s Stories of Cancer Survivors

Cancer has touched the lives of many CDC employees. Some of them share their stories and words of wisdom.


Survivor Stories from Our Blog, The Topic Is Cancer

Photo of skin cancer survivor Mallory

Protecting Your Skin Is Worth the Effort

“I wish I could tell 16-year-old me to never start tanning,” says skin cancer survivor Mallory. “I will try very hard to make sure my children never tan. The skin they were born with is perfect, just the way it is.”

Photo of ovarian cancer survivor Terri and her husband, Johnny

I Did Everything to Avoid Cancer…And It Still Got Me

“The reality at first is such a shock,” says ovarian cancer survivor Terri. “I realized I can live with a chronic condition, and I can have a great life.” Now Terri makes it her mission to help women who are at risk for or who have ovarian cancer.

Photo of breast cancer survivor Pam

Making Our Health a Priority

Breast cancer survivor Pam says, “I’m proud to say that my family is full of survivors. However, it’s a whole different ballgame when the person with cancer is staring at you in the mirror. My focus centered on the health and happiness of my two boys. Having cancer forced me to understand the importance of making my health a priority.”

Photo of throat cancer survivor Lewis

Lewis’ Story: Throat Cancer Changed His World

“When you hear the word ‘cancer,’ your world changes in an instant,” says throat cancer survivor Lewis. After seven chemotherapy treatments and 35 radiation treatments, the tumor had shrunk to the point that doctors could no longer detect cancer. Lewis and his wife Amy decided to start a support group for people with head and neck cancers.

Photo of liver cancer survivor Gary

I Have Liver Cancer, But You Don’t Have To

An illness caught Gary, 61, off guard in 2013. When doctors suggested he go for more tests, he knew his condition was more severe than he first guessed. He recalls, “The doctor asked, ‘How long have you had hepatitis C?’ And I said, ‘I didn’t even know I had it!’”

Photo of three-time cancer survivor George Hilliard

My Personal Prescription for Surviving Cancer

George had already survived two kinds of cancer when his doctor gave him the shocking news that he had prostate cancer. “I began my journey back to health by relying on my support network and positive attitude,” he says. “I also work at keeping a confident outlook on life by participating in cancer discussion groups with other survivors.”

Photo of breast cancer survivor Traci Ramirez

Being a Cancer Survivor Reminds Me Life Is Precious

“My normal morning suddenly became life-changing for me. I found a lump in my left breast,” says breast cancer survivor Traci. “I’m happy to say that was three years ago. It hasn’t been easy. As a cancer survivor, I sometimes have mixed feelings about my future. I try to think about how I am blessed.”

Photo of melanoma skin cancer survivor Sharon McKenna

A Tan Is Not a Sign of Health

“I’m a fair-skinned redhead. I spent summers as a lifeguard and vacations at the beach, and I never wore sunscreen,” admits skin cancer survivor Sharon. “My battle with melanoma began in 2002. I learned that knowledge is power. Skin cancer is the most preventable of all cancers. Vacations now center around better things.”

Photo of melanoma skin cancer survivor Dr. Travis Kidner

Melanoma: A Surgeon and Survivor’s Perspective

“I began using indoor tanning beds in my early teens,” says skin cancer survivor Dr. Travis Kidner. “I did not realize that the healthy glow I was so desperately seeking was actually caused by DNA damage from the UV radiation. Twenty years would pass before the damage eventually surfaced. As a surgical oncologist, I never imagined that I would become a patient. But there I was at age 36 with two small children and a potentially deadly cancer.”

Videos Featuring Breast Cancer Survivor Joan Lunden

Joan Lunden shares her advice in four videos—

Breast Cancer Treatment Plan



“Work with your doctors to gather as much information as possible to determine the right treatment plan for you,” advises breast cancer survivor Joan Lunden in this video.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario