Inspiration for a Healthy New Year
Make 2015 your healthiest year yet! Find ways to boost your health, fitness, and well-being, and be an inspiration to others!
Tips for 2015
Learn how you can live a safer and healthier life:
- Find health resources to help you achieve your New Year's goals.
- Protect yourself from injury or disease by wearing a helmet, sunscreen, or insect repellent when necessary.
- Make an appointment for a check-up, vaccination, or screening.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water to prevent the spread of infection and illness. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Learn health tips that take 5 minutes or less.
- Make healthy food choices. Grab a healthy snack such as fruit, nuts, or low-fat cheese.
- Be active to improve overall health. Try simple things such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Be active for at least 2½ hours a week. Children and adolescents should get at least 1 hour of physical activity each day.
- Be smokefree. If you are ready to quit, call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669) or 1-855-DÉJELO-YA (1-855-335-3569 for Spanish speakers) for free resources, including free quit coaching, a free quit plan, free educational materials, and referrals to other resources where you live. Need inspiration? Check out these videos from the Tips From Former Smokers campaign.
- Get enough sleep. Remember that sleep is a necessity, not a luxury.
- If you don't already have insurance, get coverage at the Health Insurance Marketplace.
- Learn how to be healthy before, during, and after pregnancy.
- Reduce auto-related injuries by using seat belts, child safety seats, and booster seats that are appropriate for your child's age and weight.
- Learn positive parenting tips to keep teens safe on the road.
- Develop and enforce rules about acceptable and safe behaviors using electronic media.
- Lower the risk of foodborne illness as you prepare meals for your family.
- Gather and share family health history.
- Get pets vaccinated and keep pets healthy.
Here is Colenda's story to help inspire you to get started!
Colenda has always struggled with her weight, but when she found out she was having a baby, she knew she needed to make some lifestyle changes. "I really want to be around a long time for my child, so I came to a point where I knew I had to start changing some of my habits," she said. Colenda has started making better nutrition choices and has set small daily goals to be healthier. "I have started replacing sugary beverages with water, taking the stairs at work, and participating in dance classes, which are a lot of fun!"
Before Colenda made the decision to change her habits, she would wait for people to leave in order to get a parking spot closer to the store, but now she parks far away to get more steps in. Colenda's advice for others is to start small and make little changes here and there like taking the stairs instead of the elevator. She also recommends finding a workout partner, or someone that can hold you accountable to the choices you are trying to make. Colenda says she is a work in progress and still has some weight to lose, but has noticed that even these small changes have given her much more energy which has been great for chasing her son around.