|New CDC Publication: Presenting Injury Data using ICD-10-CM |
External Cause of Injury Codes
Morbidity coding in the United States will transition from
ICD-9-CM to ICD-10-CM in 2015. The National Center for
Injury Prevention and Control and the National Center for
Health Statistics at the Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention (CDC) have taken steps to prepare for this
transition. The centers have proposed an ICD-10-CM
External Cause of Injury framework to provide standards
for presenting injury data. This report about the framework provides:
matrices—one for Poisoning and the other for Causes Other Than
Poisoning. It also includes groupings of ICD-10-CM external cause
of injury codes by major mechanism (e.g., motor vehicle traffic,
fall, poisoning, drowning) and intent (e.g., unintentional, assault,
self-harm) of injury categories. These proposed code sets will be
useful in tracking injury-related hospitalizations and emergency
department visits at the national and state levels when ICD-10-CM
external cause codes become available.
The report is now available electronically.
Hard copies of the report can also be ordered
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scientific Data, Statistics, and Surveillance
Interactive Statistics and Mapping Systems
WISQARSTM (Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System) is the Injury Center's interactive, online database that provides customized injury-related mortality data and nonfatal injury data. This data is useful for research and for making informed public health decisions.
- Ten Leading Causes of Death and Injury (Charts)
Downloadable charts for causes of death and nonfatal injury and available in multiple file formats. The charts can be used in slide presentations, web pages, and print documents.
- Injury Data and Resources
Resources from CDC's National Center for Health Statistics.
- HP2020 Health Indicators Warehouse, including Injuries and Violence
Injury Coding and Data Systems
- Proposed Framework for Presenting Injury Data using ICD-10-CM External Cause of Injury Codes
ICD-10-CM External Cause Matrix for Poisoning
ICD-10-CM External Cause Matrix for Causes other than Poisoning
- Recommended Actions to Improve External-Cause-of-Injury Coding (E-Coding) in State Morbidity Data Systems
- E-Code Matrix
- Recent Estimates of the Completeness of E-coding in State-based Hospital Discharge and Emergency Department Data Systems using AHRQ’s Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) data
- Inventory of Injury Data Systems
- ICARIS-2 Public Use Data Set Documentation MS Word PDF