sábado, 29 de enero de 2011

Clinical outcome of triple negative breast cancer ... [Cancer. 2011] - PubMed result

Cancer. 2011 Jan 24. doi: 10.1002/cncr.25911. [Epub ahead of print]
Clinical outcome of triple negative breast cancer in BRCA1 mutation carriers and noncarriers.

Lee LJ, Alexander B, Schnitt SJ, Comander A, Gallagher B, Garber JE, Tung N.

Department of Radiation Oncology, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts; Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts.


BACKGROUND: Women with BRCA1 mutations develop breast cancer with similar pathologic features to sporadic triple negative (TN) breast cancer, a subtype associated with early disease relapse and poor outcome. The clinical outcome of women with and without BRCA1 mutations who had TN breast cancer treated with conventional chemotherapy were compared.

METHODS: Women with stage I to III TN breast cancer who had BRCA1 testing within 36 months of diagnosis and received alkylating chemotherapy were identified from clinical databases and a Specialized Program of Research Excellence (SPORE) specimen bank. BRCA2 mutation carriers were excluded, resulting in a study cohort of 46 BRCA1 carriers and 71 noncarriers. Sites of metastasis, relapse rates, and survival were compared among carriers and noncarriers. The median follow-up was 75 months.

RESULTS: BRCA1 carriers were younger at diagnosis (P < .001) and had smaller tumors (P = .03) than noncarriers. Freedom from distant metastasis at 5 years was 76% for carriers and 70% for noncarriers (hazard ratio [HR] 0.79, P = .5). Sites of distant recurrence did not differ significantly (P = .15), although BRCA1 carriers had a propensity for brain relapse (58% vs 24%, P = .06). Overall survival at 5 years was 82% for carriers and 74% for noncarriers (HR 0.64, P = .25). Adjusting for age and stage, BRCA1 mutation status was not an independent predictor of survival (HR 0.73, P = .48).

CONCLUSIONS: BRCA1 mutation carriers with TN disease had similar survival rates to noncarriers when treated with alkylating chemotherapy. Women with BRCA1-related breast cancer may benefit from novel therapies that target DNA repair, and further study is needed to identify sporadic TN breast cancers with a BRCA-deficient phenotype. Cancer 2011. © 2011 American Cancer Society.
Copyright © 2011 American Cancer Society.

PMID: 21264845 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Clinical outcome of triple negative breast cancer ... [Cancer. 2011] - PubMed result

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario