A service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine
National Institutes of Health
Health Tip: Keep Your Family Moving
Offer toys that spur exerciseWednesday, September 10, 2014
(HealthDay News) -- A family that exercises together is healthier together, so think of fun ways to make every member of your family more active.
The Letsmove.org website suggests these tips for a more active family:
- Provide children with toys that promote physical activity, such as jump ropes, balls and kites.
- Encourage students to join sports teams.
- Take a family walk around the block after eating, skip the elevator in favor of the stairs and walk to school together a few times a week.
- Don't allow a TV in your child's room, and limit how much TV your child can watch. When the family does watch TV, set a rule that members can't sit still during commercials.
- Create a family fun day, including a trip to the park or swimming pool, or a bike ride.
- Offer rewards for being active.
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.