Surgery for an Inguinal Hernia - Consumer Summary | AHRQ Effective Health Care Program
Consumer Summary – Jul. 24, 2013
Surgery for an Inguinal Hernia
Table of Contents
- Is This Information Right for Me?
- Understanding Your Condition
- Understanding Your Options
- Making a Decision
Is This Information Right for Me?
Yes, this information is right for you if:
- Your doctor* has said that you have an inguinal hernia (pronounced IN-gwen-ul HER-nee-uh), also sometimes called a groin hernia. An inguinal hernia is a condition in which part of your intestine, other organs, or belly fat pokes through an opening or weak spot in the muscles in your groin.
- You want to know what research says about surgery to fix an inguinal hernia.
- You are over age 18. The information in this summary is from research on adults.