May is Healthy Vision MonthCenters for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) sent this bulletin at 05/06/2013 02:55 PM EDT
Having Trouble Viewing The Images? View Online
May 6, 2013
Healthy Vision: Make It Last a Lifetime
- Get regular comprehensive dilated eye exams as recommended by your eye care provider.
- Know your family’s eye health history. It’s important to know if anyone has been diagnosed with an eye disease or condition, because many are hereditary.
- Eat right to protect your sight, particularly dark leafy greens such as spinach, kale, or collard greens, and fish high in omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon, albacore tuna, trout, and halibut.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Wear protective eyewear when playing sports or doing activities around the home such as painting, yard work, and home repairs.
- Quit smoking or never start.
- Wear sunglasses that block 99%–100% of ultraviolet A (UVA) and ultraviolet B (UVB) radiation.
- Clean your hands prior to taking out contacts and be sure to cleanse your contact lenses properly to avoid the risk of infection.
- Practice workplace eye safety.