sábado, 10 de julio de 2010

Breast Cancer genetic testing | NJ.com



Breast Cancer genetic testing

I can't tell you how many people -- and not just doctors -- have asked me if breast cancer runs in my family.

Even though only a small percentage of breast cancer cases can be traced to the defective BRCA genes, most people vastly overestimate the role of family history.

Share Yes, I have an aunt who died of breast cancer. But as I told my oncologist, I come from a big Irish family on my father's side. You name it, I have a relative who died of it. She reviewed the limited information I gave her and said my risk seemed to be so low that my health insurance probably wouldn't even cover genetic testing. (That can run several thousand dollars.)

open here please to see the full-text:
Breast Cancer genetic testing | NJ.com

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario